Switch your current account.
Switch your current account to us and close your current account with your old bank. The switch from your old account to your new current account will be completed within seven working days of your preferred switch date. The Current Account Switch Guarantee* provides peace of mind for anyone switching their current account.
Thinking of switching?
Talk to us – we’ll be happy to guide you through the switching process in three easy steps:
- Get in touch - phone us on (0)345 6005 204† (lines are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday). We’ll talk you through the switching options available to you (see below).
- We will need to see proof of your identity and address. Usually, we need your passport or driving licence and a gas, electricity or water bill. If you have any queries, please phone (0)345 6005 204†
- Sign the relevant application forms and we will do the rest. We will provide you with your new current account details and any information you need.
† Call charges may vary - please refer to your service provider
We offer two options to customers wishing to switch their current account:
Current Account Switch
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
Full details of the Current Account Switch Guarantee are available in the Current Account Switch Service brochure
A list of frequently asked questions can be found on the Current Account Switch Service website at currentaccountswitch.co.uk/help-support
If your existing bank* is not a participant of the Current Account Switch Service, then you have the option to Switch Manually with no cost by giving us your Old / New Account details so we can contact your existing bank*
(Note - The Current Account Switch Service Guarantee does not apply to the manual process. If you’re not sure whether your current bank or building society participates in the Current Account Switch Service. Ask us when you start your switch)
If you are switching your current account into us, simply call into any of our branches to initiate the request. We will request you to confirm that your direct debit and standing order details are correct, once these are provided by you or your Old Bank*.
If any direct debits and standing orders originate from a third party (e.g. your employer), then you will need to complete an authority form which we will then use to contact the credit/debit originator on your behalf. We will request your Old Bank* to transfer any credit balance to your new current account with us, and on your request ask them to close your old account. The process will take approximately 12 working days.
(Note – this timeframe excludes any time taken for a response from your Old Bank* or you).
If you are switching out of us into another UK based financial institution, we will send them a list of your Direct Debits, Direct Credits, Standing Orders and Bill Payments within 5 working days. We will transfer any credit balance and close the account on the switch date as requested from your New Bank*.
How to make a complaint
If you are unhappy with any aspect of this service, please visit www.aibgb.co.uk/help-and-guidance/customer-service/making-a-complaint
* includes building societies or any payment service provider